At college we were provided with sheets of glass, black ink and a roller to create mono prints. The theme, Creation, was the brief and we explored these by drawing directly into the ink with ends of paintbrushes or our fingers. It was messy work, but fun.
Today, a Gelli plate arrived in the post. It’s thicker than I thought it would be and more versatile with acrylic paints. I found that the acrylic dried too rapidly on lino printing and sometimes the paper would stick where I didn’t want it to! I’ve invested in some block printing ink to continue with the lino when I’ve done some more cutting now that I have some more lino :-). In the meantime, I thought I’d share with you the cover I’ve created using the Gelli plate for my sketchbook and some postcards using leaves and grasses. What’s great about the plate is that there is no need to clean it each time and you can lay the card repeatedly onto the ink and gradually it becomes clean.
Also, in these photographs, you can see the result of my lino print for the ‘Wanderer in the Mists’ impression. I’m going to add another layer to this to present different distances on the top part of the picture where the man is standing.