Dinosaurs have been the topic of conversation today … and Scooby Doo! A colleague leaving work today is off to celebrate her birthday in the next few days and we stumbled upon dinosaurs as she was browsing through my sketchbook (I was doodling Betty Boo during my lunchbreak while sipping a tomato soup) and she asked if I drew dinosaurs. Well I thought, I’ll give it a go, but I went a step further and made a lino print for her 🙂
Now, I know not everyone has their own printing press, so I thought you might like to get your own hands covered in black ink and have a go at your own monoprints or lino cuts using things lying around your house that won’t cost too much. For example, you may have had linoleum put in the kitchen or bathroom. If you have offcuts from this, you could make a start on a lino cut. Over the next week or so, I’ll post some simple patterns which you could use to get you started, but I’m sure you could also find inspiration like I have done from objects found nearby as we are surrounded by shapes and patterns in fabrics, crockery, picture frames and so on that provide fantastic basis for designing.
On this occasion, I’ve used a terracotta piece of lino that came in a pack. This tends to crumble and creates powder, which means more clearing up compared to the white soft lino I’ve shown you with the gnome, dandelion and the houses in earlier posts.
As it’s dark outside and my side yard workshop doesn’t have electricity, I’ve done the prints indoors using a rolling pin (chased by my kitten) to press down on the gelli-plate or lino against the paper to create impressions and prints. Meanwhile, my husband has been busy working on my proper workshop space – transforming a garden shed (I’m so excited and he couldn’t wait to show my what he’d done while I was at work).
Cutting the lino using lino tools (which aren’t that expensive to buy). I used the same gauged tool throughout, but if I were creating an even bigger print, I would interchange the heads according to how much I planned to cut away.
I then played around with various acrylic colours on my gelliplate and added a few dandelions to provide a bit of texture.
All I’m going to add now is go and have fun. Try different textures and templates out and see what results you get. Some results may surprise you; some you might not like and some, I can assure you, you will love 🙂