Hi there. Hope you’re all well. Haven’t posted on WordPress for a while but I’m still adding to my portfolio of work.
Yesterday saw the launch of a range of my art on a variety of products from mugs and phone cases to leggings and greeting cards! Why not take a look and see if there’s something there for you – perhaps a unique throw cushion or a scarf. I will be uploading a few more images over the next few days, but it’s so nice to think that others will be able to enjoy some lovely creations I made with lino, on the gelliplate and while doodling highly patterned nature designs.
Best wishes to you all xx
The above print on recycled fabric was created by cutting an image in industrial lino (I had some offcuts) and then printing a texture using corn on the cob. Sweet corn is fun to use as it makes a perfect shape for rolling in the ink without getting too messy! I turned the design into a cushion cover with ties down the right hand side using small pieces of ribbon 🙂
Thought I’d share with you the finished print going off to raise funds for the charity Air Ambulance.
The Vincent motorbike lino cut has been placed over a gelliplate which includes an array of leaves and I’ve added a wash of coffee for the road and a bit of gold to bring out the logo.
This lino cut was made to raise funds for Air Ambulance. There is a large group of bikers who meet once a month and it’s their final meet of the season tomorrow. One of my limited edition prints from the lino will be sold off for the charity. Last time I auctioned one of my dot drawings of a motorcycle and it was bought by a motorcycle store.
Once the sketched outline was drawn onto the lino, I chose one of the smallest cutting tools and used this until the design was how I wanted it, then I removed some of the excess lino around the bike using a larger cutter.
After using a plain black block printing ink, I played around with different backgrounds, including leaves from the garden onto the gelliplate.
Still experimenting with lino and the gelli-plate, plus interchanging between acrylic paints and block printing ink. This little cutting was inspired by an embossed bottle I found while on holiday. It’s amazing where you can get textures from and what works and doesn’t.
Later, I will share with you different materials which can be used to make your own prints for minimum cost, including corrugated cardboard and polystyrene (known as a polyprint!).
A bottle print …
And lino with bubblewrap…
At college we were provided with sheets of glass, black ink and a roller to create mono prints. The theme, Creation, was the brief and we explored these by drawing directly into the ink with ends of paintbrushes or our fingers. It was messy work, but fun.
Today, a Gelli plate arrived in the post. It’s thicker than I thought it would be and more versatile with acrylic paints. I found that the acrylic dried too rapidly on lino printing and sometimes the paper would stick where I didn’t want it to! I’ve invested in some block printing ink to continue with the lino when I’ve done some more cutting now that I have some more lino :-). In the meantime, I thought I’d share with you the cover I’ve created using the Gelli plate for my sketchbook and some postcards using leaves and grasses. What’s great about the plate is that there is no need to clean it each time and you can lay the card repeatedly onto the ink and gradually it becomes clean.
Also, in these photographs, you can see the result of my lino print for the ‘Wanderer in the Mists’ impression. I’m going to add another layer to this to present different distances on the top part of the picture where the man is standing.